Hattiesburg is a diverse community with roots in Southern hospitality. From its first-class restaurants to its specialty shops, Hattiesburg presents a shining example of Mississippi, its people, and its way of life. While attending a convention at Lake Terrace, you will be given the chance to experience the many exciting and unique opportunities Hattiesburg has to offer. Make sure to visit Hattiesburg's Visitors Center, located on the grounds of the Lake Terrace Convention Center, and meet the friendly Tourism Ambassadors who will help you with your visit. You can also visit them online at www.VisitHattie.com.
For a quick look at the many exciting things Hattiesburg has, here is a list of some of our favorite things to do while in the Hub City.
Top Ten Things to Do While Attending a Convention at Lake Terrace
- Let your selective palate enjoy itself at one of our famous restaurants. Whether the cuisine is Southwestern, Cajun, Italian, or Japanese, dozens of locally owned restaurants will have you coming back for more.
- Unwind from a long day and listen to live music from local, regional, and national acts at one of Hattiesburg's distinctive watering holes, including Mugshots, The Thirsty Hippo, and Keg & Barrel.
- Bring your wallet and shop Downtown Hattiesburg. The downtown has a variety of specialty shops, including children's consignment, art galleries, antiques shops, and bookstores to satisfy everyone on your shopping list.
- Located only a few miles away from Lake Terrace is the Highway 98 shopping corridor. Look for special deals at top name-brand stores, including Dillard's, Belk, Target, Old Navy, and Bed Bath and Beyond. Also check out the Newpointe Shopping Center and its unique collection of boutiques.
- Wear black and gold and cheer the Southern Miss football team to victory at The Rock, off Highway 49 on the USM campus.
- Take in a show in the heart of downtown Hattiesburg at the historic Saenger Theater. Built in 1929 as a movie palace, the Saenger now hosts modern-day entertainment, including ballet, musicals, and non-musical plays.
- Whether you hit for par or for fun, take a swing at a championship golf course. Timberton Golf Club is ranked four and a half stars by Golf Digest and is one of many great golfing options in the Hattiesburg area.
- Experience the great outdoors and get in shape by exploring all 40 miles of the Longleaf Trace, starting from the USM gateway. Walk, run, or rent a bike.
- Just south of Hattiesburg on Highway 49, you can discover the Pine Belt's rich military history at Camp Shelby. The base's Mississippi Armed Forces Museum spans history from the early 1800's through today and showcases hundreds of exhibits. Or visit the African American Military History Museum, housed inside the only surviving USO club constructed especially for African-American soldiers in public use in the United States.
- Visit Hattiesburg's Visitors Center, your friendly one-stop information shop for a cup of free gourmet coffee, local brochures and maps. As neighbors of the Lake Terrace Convention Center, the Visitors Center's friendly Tourism Ambassadors are here to welcome you Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.